Jul 28, 2015

To my Avery, on your 4th birthday

Dear Avery,

Four. You're four. When did this happen? They laid you on my chest in the delivery room and I blinked...and now you're four. Can I still call you my baby? You're not a baby anymore, not a toddler. You're my little girl. And with every passing day, I realize how much you're growing up and maturing. From your ever-growing vocabulary to your ridiculously sharp logic and reasoning skills when you're trying to get your way, you're growing up right in front of me. And there's nothing I can do to stop it. I want to hold on to you and beg you to stay this age forever. You're so much fun. I say that every stage is my favorite, but this one is certainly a front runner. You're at the age where I can have a conversation with you. It's no longer one-sided talking dominated by me. You tell me about your day, your school, your friends, your favorite things. You're getting an imagination and are FINALLY starting to play by yourself. I'm sure having a new brother in the house has helped with that. I'm sorry I haven't been able to give you as much attention since your baby brother arrived, but that's all part of having a new baby! You don't act the least bit jealous over it...you are the absolute best big sister. I'm so proud of you and how much you love on your brother. Please remember that I'll never be too busy to snuggle or hug you. I don't care how old you are. I worried that, at this age, you'd be at the phase where you were "too cool" for Mommy. But you're more affectionate and snuggly than ever. You tell me, "I love you, Mama" often. I love that you call me Mama. 

You're still the spitting image of your Daddy--looks and personality. Although you do finally say that you "like the Go Cards and the Go Cats." I can live with that....for now. I'll still continue to try to get that blood bleeding blue. 

You are the girliest girl I've ever met. There's no such thing as "too much pink" in Avery's world. Pink, glitter and princesses dominate your bedroom, wardrobe and list of favorite things. I don't know where you get it, but I adore your independence and how you like what you like...no matter what anyone else thinks. If you want to walk out in a glittery unicorn shirt with pink ruffled pants and pink cowgirl boots, there is no convincing you that it isn't a proper outfit. I think you're going to be a leader, like your Daddy. I certainly hope so, at least. 

I'm so proud of you, my Avery. People comment on how well-behaved you are. We're still working on using our manners often, but any time we're in public, I'm thrilled with how good you are. That makes me so proud...and you LOVE to hear that Daddy and I are proud of you. 

Today is your fourth birthday, my Avery. We may not be spending it the way you planned (you're currently asleep on the couch after being awake since the early morning hours, throwing up), but this is still one of my very favorite days. It's the day you were born and made me a mother. Happy birthday, Avery Leigh. I don't have enough words to tell you how very loved you are. 






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...